Saturday, June 24, 2006

Chicken, Burgers, Tacos

Four score, and seven years ago my best friend Mary and I decided we were SO good at eating out, that we should probably be food critics. With this new occupation, came our book: Chicken, Burgers, Tacos: 101 places to eat in the Provo/Orem Area. The title came from a game that we played to decide where to eat. I would say "Chicken, Burgers, Tacos" and Mary would eliminate one that she didn't want - I would then eliminate the other - leaving only one kind of food. The book itself, though still unpublished, was in my opinion - one of the highlights of my sophomore year in college. We ate a lot of food - and gained a lot of weight. Mary graduated from BYU that year, and moved back to Chicago. I think the book is still in her old planner.
The reason I bring this up is because Rob and I went out for breakfast this morning, and ate at a place that would be perfect for our book. It was called "Ma and Pa's." A tiny little restaurant on State Street in Lindon. The first thing that I noticed when I walked in was the fact that the chairs were padded folding church chairs. The second thing I noticed was that none of the tables matched. It was just a hodgepodge of furniture. I immediately liked the place. Then "Ma" walked by our table and served as "Pa" cooked in the back - Ma and Pa being a cute older couple. When we asked for a high chair, they came back with a REAL high chair - the plastic kind with pull out tray and padded seat. They served Coke in the big red, dingy, plastic coke cups. Every meal starts with "home-style" and comes with a side of biscuits and gravy. They open at 6:30 am, and only serve Breakfast and Lunch - with the exception of Friday and Saturday where they have "Extended their hours" and now have a buffet dinner until 8:30.
All of these things sat quite well with me, and I must say I'm a huge fan of "Ma and Pa's." According to our old rating system - I'd give it 4 out of 5 Tacos. There's only one thing that has me a bit confused. When Rob ordered toast - it was served with this jelly:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That really is a brilliant idea - I'd very much like to plagiarize it. There may be some fancy restaurants here in DC, but I never recall feeling bored or out of options when deciding on where to eat in Utah.

So whadaya say - I split the proceeds from my soon-to-be-created food critic site with you? 60/40?

Something Wilde said...

Melissa, there is just one thing to say...it's a classic!

kathryn said...

you drink coke with breakfast???