Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The First Cut is the Deepest

I've never had a broken bone...ever, and I don't think any of my siblings have, either. So when I managed to break Maddie's arm last night I couldn't have felt any worse. Maddie, Jude and I were walking back to the car after Rob's softball game when I slipped in a puddle of water. Since I was holding her hand, she came down with me - and immediately started screaming. I tried to get my out-of-proportion-and-wearing-a-skirt-self off of the ground as easily and carefully as I could, and then tried to see if Maddie was as scraped up as I was. I couldn't see much - until Rob got to the scene and helped her up. It was then that we noticed the odd sagging shape in her forearm. It was almost like she had a second elbow. I started bawling, and with the help of my brother and sister-in-law (who SO amazingly came to the rescue) we were off to the emergency room. Four hours later, Maddie got her first cast - both bones were broken. She was such a trooper and didn't cry at all in the emergency room. I however, sobbed like a baby. IT. WAS. AWFUL...knowing that I had caused it. The pictures aren't too graphic, because of the swelling - but at first break it was horrid. I just keep seeing it over and over in my mind. I'm a bad mom...I can't even break my own fall - I have to use my helpless children. She spent today in a "soft cast" and tomorrow morning we're off to the Orthopedic Surgeon to get everything looked at and finalized. I'll post some more pictures tomorrow of her new cast...hopefully they can make it pink, because that's what I've been promising her!



7 comments:

The UnMighty said...

I happen to know you were never at Rob's softball game. So, what's the real story, you animal.

stacibee said...

Oh man, I'm so sorry. I completely understand your distress. When Isaac broke his little arm I was SOOO bummed.
Get prepared for the "What happened, Sweetie?" question once the cast comes on. I'm pretty sure we answered that one at least 13 million times. You may even want to start brainstorming different stories to tell, just to keep things exciting. :)
P.S. It's not your fault!!

Melanee Raynes said...

poor baby girl. she's a tough one! (oh, and you're not a bad mom. categorically stated.)

Stefanie Raynes said...

Poor Maddie!!
You KNOW that you are not a bad mom!! Maddie will be totally fine, and she'll love the cast and the attention. Those pictures will be awesome for her to look at when she is older.
I am glad that you are o.k. too. Its scary taking a fall when your pregnant.

Ashlee said...

Oh Melis! I'm soo sorry!! Maddie's a trooper, and I agree with Stef 100%. You are a WONDERFUL mother. I hope you are okay from the fall as well. Love you!

Babcock Family said...

Oh no!! poor little Maddie. Don't you even think twice about this being your fault. Feeling bad is automatic because your the mom but it was nobody's fault. I'm so glad she was such a trooper.

Anonymous said...

Wow...Using your daughter as a cushion to break your fall...what's next? Using your kids as human shields? I know how sad you were when this happened...I could hear your heart breaking when you called...which broke my heart too. Of all the people in the world, you would never do anything to intentionally hurt one of your kids, and you made it sound like you'd thrown her under a moving bus!!

You are such a good mom Melissa. I heard a long time ago that you'll never know what kind of parents you had been until you see how your grandkids turn out. I don't know what the future holds, but from what I cans see now...I'm feeling like we did a heck of a good job!