Friday, November 07, 2008

The Habbit

Many of you know that I am usually OBSESSED with anything Cola: Pepsi, Coke, RC, I don't care - just give it to me...in mass quantities. But lately something has changed. I have slowed down on the pop and switched to water. Not because I like water, but because I want to chew on the ice. I (on an average day) have at least four full glasses of crushed ice. In the few minutes/day that I'm not carrying a MASSIVE cup of it around, I'm craving it. Why? What IS this? At night I sit down to watch an episode or two of "House" with Rob, and literally miss half of the jokes because I can't hear over my crunching. I think I'm starting to lose friends over my bad manners, so I decided to do some research. Here's what I found:

"Doctors use the term "pica" to describe craving and chewing substances that have no nutritional value — such as ice, clay, cornstarch or paper. Craving and chewing ice (pagophagia) is often associated with iron deficiency anemia — although it may be associated with other nutritional problems as well. It's not known why some people with iron deficiency anemia crave and chew ice. Researchers from one recent study suggested it may be because of ice's pain-relieving properties, since some people with iron deficiency anemia experience tongue pain and inflammation (glossitis). The same researchers found that ice has a new and better taste to some people who are iron deficient."

So maybe it's time I get my iron checked. The last time I had blood work done, they said it was a little low, but nothing to be concerned about. So to all my friends and family that are turned off by my constant chomping, give me a break. I obviously have a very serious medical condition. And let's be honest here - would you prefer I chew on clay, cornstarch or paper? Yeah. I didn't think so.

10 comments:

Scott D said...

I like to chew on Ice also but don't crave it.

The Wilsons said...

I was beginning to think that maybe you stopped cola because you realized how bad it is for you.

Jodi said...

I always heard that chewing on ice was a sign of not enough "whoopie" When does Rob get home? Or better yet...when does that baby come out?

Derek and Kristine said...

You do not have pica! You're just pregnant. And lucky, with today's modern medicine, you're about to be "cured" of your condition! I have two patients with pica- one eats rocks and the other prefers plastics. More importantly, let's talk about those poor teeth. Are we talking crushed ice? Or solid ice cubes?

Melissa said...

I KNEW Kris would chime in for this one. So, it's usually crushed ice - and I prefer it be fairly soft. I've mastered the ice to water ratio. I can't believe you have a Rock-Biter (Never Ending Story, anyone?) I think my teeth are fine, I need to get in for my 6 month after the baby is born.

Jodi - I had ALWAYS heard the same thing, and we woule make fun of the ice-chewers in High School - calling them sexually frustrated. Then again, it was High School - weren't most people frustrated anyway?!!

Sarah said...

At least you have a normal obsession...i want to lick the cement after a rainstorm...i heard that was another sign of lack if Iron...

Maybe the girl that told me that was just trying to be nice!

Lizza said...

If your iron ends up being low, call me. My midwife sent me to Good Earth to get some good stuff. It starts with a F but I can't remember the whole name. Don't use the prescription the doc gives. It makes you stopped up.

Angie said...

Hey, I craved ice during the first half of my pregnancy... I chomped on it constantly! Turns out, I was iron deficient. You should get checked.

But hey i guess if you have to crave something and eat it all day, ice isnt a bad choice. Once I gt iron pills, I craved hamburgers and chocolate. It's a toss-up.

Anonymous said...

I do the exact same thing when I'm pregnant. Doctor told me it was low iron. I will admit the best ice I've found is from the ice maker at your mom's house. They are not to hard and not to soft, just perfect. When I was visiting your mom, and pregnant with Syd, I had cups of ice all over the house.

Joanna said...

I have a friend who eats CHALK when she's pregnant. She has cleared it with her doctor and eats plain white chalk by the box when she's pregnant. YUCK!

I was just the opposite - I have ALWAYS chomped on ice - but as soon as I was pregnant with Hunter I didn't want anything to do with ice (other than to cool off my drinks) - and I don't chew it at all - the thought of it makes me shutter.....

Good luck!