Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Happy 21st Sarah!


Today is my baby sister's 21st birthday, and I'm sure she's loving every minute of it. Growing up, Sarah and I shared a room - so I have MANY a story about this lady. I'll try not to embarrass her too much, but there are a few things I just have to say.


Sarah went by the nickname Po-Po Manunky for a very long time. I'm not really sure where it originated from, I just know it was the only way she could say Po-Po the Monkey.


Sarah and I used to have dance routines that involved her and I, and a bunch of ice skating moves. She'd run to me, I'd pick her up over my shoulders, slide her down my back until I was holding her by the ankles, and then swing her around. We thought we were AWESOME.


Sarah collected EVERYTHING as a child, and it all became very sentimental to her. I remember she scored a box from Sam's Club, and kept it in our room to be filled with all sorts of stuff: drawings, garbage, toys, you name it. I was always so annoyed with the box that she called "her desk" because it made our room look so dirty all the time. My mom, being the sentimental schmuck that she is - wouldn't throw any of the stuff away, so it really began to pile up. Once Sarah's "desk" was completely full of garbage, Sarah scored ANOTHER box from Sam's, and set it right next to the original desk. They both stayed there, full of junk, for years.


We had a sign posted on our bedroom door that read, "No Tackling, or Conswakenses." She then drew two hands with a big X over them. The sign meant, "No Tickling, or Consequences."


Sarah used to make me do "puppet shows" for her at night.


I remember that I would beg my parent's constantly to have my own room, and when Dan left for college, my wish was granted. One thing I've never told anyone is that the first night we had our own rooms, I cried like a little baby. I missed my sister like crazy.


Sarah, I love you so much - and I hope that 21 is a blast for you!

3 comments:

Linz said...

My goodness I haven't seen her for like 10 years! What a beauty.

Anonymous said...

Melissa - that was great. We had a big laugh at dinner last night with the two about the tackling (Johnny) and the con-swak'-en-ses (Sarah). And the pictures of Ella Isabel are absolutely gorgeous - the closeup of her sleeping is my new desktop pic. Lots of great compliments in the office! Hope you are doing well.

Anonymous said...

I know it has taken me FAR too long to comment on this blog, but this is the first chance that I have had to see it since turning 21! Thank you for explaining why it was mun-unkie! I had no idea! I miss you like crazy!!!
love u!!!