Sunday, October 02, 2005

Strangers

I swear, the minute Madelyn was born - someone stamped "talk to me" on my forehead. It seems like now that I have a baby, strangers feel the need to tell me things about her. Usually they are sweet compliments that make me feel great. But as you may have read in an earlier blog - sometimes people say the weirdest things. For example: I was out shopping with Rob on Saturday afternoon. He was in the dressing room, and I was standing outside with Madelyn - who was in her stroller. A woman walks up to me and says, "Oh goodness. She is a beautiful baby!" I smile and thank her. She comes a little bit closer to Madelyn and says, "She's what - four months, five months?" I tell her she will be three months this week, but that she's a big baby for her age. She replies, "Oh wow - just three months? Well you can tell that she is really intelligent for her age. She is a very smart baby. I can tell these things." At this point, I'm really not sure what to say. If Maddie had been doing something like singing her ABC's or tap dancing, it would be one thing - but this whole time - she is sleeping. So apparently my "kinda chunky", "crooked-eared" daughter is an extremely intelligent sleeper.

No comments: