Monday, July 28, 2008

For Stefanie

My darling friend, Stefanie, is constantly giving me grief about "not showing." I was actually starting to believe her until I put on this non-maternity shirt. It looked like I was going to bust out of the seams at any moment.

As of today, I am officially 25 weeks along - according to my latest ultrasound. At my appointment this morning, the doctor pulled out the old measuring tape to measure my belly - and said (and I QUOTE) "Woah! You really popped over the last couple of weeks." Then realizing how it sounded he said, "Not that there's any problem with that - you're not measuring TOO big or anything." Although some people may take it as, "wow - you're really fat," I was really happy to hear the news. I've had this (fairly unrealistic) goal of only gaining ten pounds with this pregnancy. (I tend to gain about 25 pounds by delivery - and thought it would be REALLY awesome to not have to worry about losing the last fifteen pounds.) I had been fairly good about sticking to my (non-realistic) goal, and hadn't gained any weight. But at today's appointment I had put on four pounds. Hence, my MAJOR relief with the "popping" comment. Either way: goal will NOT be met. Guess it's time to drown my sorrows in more ice cream.

4 comments:

Jodi said...

I'll come pick you up and we'll head to Baskin Robins...I have about 15 pounds to lose too, but ice cream always sounds good!

Stefanie Raynes said...

I think those 4 lbs are all in the size of your baby's head...have you seen your little baby in that swimming womb-like thingy? HUGE head...awesome brains....

You still don't look 5 months pregnant. But I always appreciate a good shout-out.

Elder Richey said...

You only gain 25 lbs each pregnancy? Go you! I gained 40 with Marcus and am planning on gaining at least 60 with these twins. Oh well. I'm sure the mashed potatoes, ice cream, and whole milk aren't helping matters :) You look great, and it's always nice to be told you look small, right? I've made all my friends promise to tell me I look fabulous even when I'm 8 months and the size of a whale. Good times!

Anonymous said...

I gained 25 lbs. by the time went in for the blood test...praying that it would be positive so I wouldn't feel like an idiot wearing those maternity pants. sheesh I think I ate a 25 lb. meal once. I couldn't stand up or breathe for 2 and half hours!! I had serious fears that the baby, (which turned out to be Derek instead of a quarter pounder with cheese) would be pushed out through my belly button for sheer lack of any place else to be.

I don't want to hear any more namby pamby 10 lb. weight gain stories. I remember taking my REGULAR jeans to the hospital with me...assuming I'd be slipping them on and wearing them home. Imagine the horror when I couldn't get them even as far up as my KNEES!