Thursday, April 11, 2013

Time Flies When You're.....Um.....Huh.

Do you ever go through phases where you feel like life is flying past you, but oddly enough you haven't done a single thing?  It's strange because usually when you're feeling slower than usual (or more pregnant than usual in my case)  time just seems to drag on and on and on.  Yet somehow I'm stuck in a weird schedule of non-events that seems to occupy every minute of every single day.

It hit me pretty hard a few weeks ago when I realized that in December, the movie The Hobbit was released.  Rob and I are huge LOTR fans and in our normal life would have seen it opening night week (I have to be realistic here...we DO have kids!)  Now, it is four months later, we still haven't seen it, and it is probably already out of theaters.  Instead of being upset all I could think was, "huh..four months.  I wonder what I've been doing since then.."

FOUR MONTHS?!

This wasn't like, "Hmmmm, I can't really remember what I did on Saturday..."  This was, "Have I done anything since I found out I was pregnant, FOUR MONTHS AGO?!"

It reminds me of a time that I was driving in the car with my mom.  We had been sitting in silence for ten or so minutes when she said, "What?" All I could do was stare blankly at her and say, "Neither one of us has said anything for the past ten minutes.  What part of that did you not hear?"  She laughed and said, "I just checked out for a few and wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything."

"And you figured that by saying 'what' you would be able to catch up on ten minutes of conversation that you hadn't payed attention to?"

We laughed and kept on driving in silence.

Here are some of the things I know I have done in the past four months.

1.  Christmas.  Claire threw up, I stayed home, spent the day mostly alone.  It was a non-day.
2.  Valentines.  Rob and I went out to Ruth's Chris and had a delicious steak dinner.
3.  St. George vacation/work trip
4.  Dr. appointments
5.  Visits from my Johnny and Dan and Marissa.

 If anyone has a time-traveling Delorean they can lend me, please leave a comment below.

 I think the rest has just been filled with the following daily schedule:
wake up, breakfast and kids ready for school, gym, getting ready for the day, carpool, lunch, laundry/cleaning, naps, carpool, homework, dinner, kids ready for bed, unwind, bed.

Contrary to what you might think, I'm actually not complaining about this.  I know this schedule is required of me, and I'm happy to keep up the daily routine.  But perhaps it's also time to see a movie or two and make sure these next four months don't pass me by without a single memory!

Any suggestions on how to make these next four pre-baby months memorable?!



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy hell! We have two kids and it seems like we have no time. You won't here any advice from my wife and I;) It really is a blur, but enjoy the small things, because all those small things add up to being huge. When you were a kid and had a great, let's say family vacation, do you remember every little detail, or remember what a great time it was? Life's a garden...dig it.

Mary said...

Well, plus one for you! I think I'm trying to forget these last few weeks of pregnancy. They've been pretty rough.

Dan said...

You know what I've done in the past four months? Quite a bit, actually...like visit Utah with my equally preggers wife!

Dan said...

I would imagine that frequently (or at least more frequently) writing down your daily and memorable activities on some sort of lasting or online forum would help you (and the rest of us) remember what you're up to.

Unknown said...

yyou forgot about how you and your "girls" took time to mek a poster to chrer up somone who was struggling. It really helpd@

the old guy said...

Take lots of pictures! Then when you are almost 60, you STILL won't have the time to look at all of them!!

Mom said...

Glad to see you now understand those "out of body" moments that make you wonder where the aliens took you and how long you've been gone. That was my excuse...and still is!