Monday, February 25, 2008

There are a few things that my father is notorious for within our family. One of his most popular bloopers is the pairing of any colored (but usually red) flannel shirt with a pair of navy sweatpants. A fashion faux-pas that only the truly confident can pull off. I'm not really sure at what point my dad slipped that on and thought, "Yes, yes. This is PERFECT," but it stuck. It became his softball, yardwork, laundry, Saturday, traveling, camping outfit. Basically, it was either that - or a shirt and tie. The only other person I had known to flaunt a similar dress-code was my Uncle Dave - but his flannel was always replaced with a ribbed, mock-turtleneck of sorts. Within the first few weeks of dating Rob, a tire on my jeep went flat, and Rob came to the rescue. He showed up in, yes, a red flannel and navy blue sweatpants. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to run to him and hug him for the nostalgic moment, or run from him to avoid a very bizarre "am I dating my dad?" situation. Luckily - the outfut has not been revisited, and I think the flannel has since been donated to charity.

Cut to yesterday afternoon: Jude's week of horrid diarrhea comes to a head, and his diaper leaks. I change his pants, and continue making dinner. Everything is fine until Jude walks past, and I realize what I've dressed him in:


I don't know if I was just confused, or something in my subconscience took over, but either way - I'm scared.

8 comments:

Tara said...

That made me laugh. It's inevitable: we become our mothers and marry our dads. It's a never ending cycle. Embrace the bad man fashion running through your line.

Anonymous said...

haha! Thats a wonderful story. I never get tired from reading your blog

Anonymous said...

Now Melissa . . . . you know that i would NEVER wear anything like that . . . to a softball game. But I will say that the white sox that Jude is wearing are exactly on target.
And to think you loved me anyways - you ARE wonderful!

Jodi said...

Jude is cute no matter what he's wearing...and I have to admit that my children (yes, even my daughters) have been dressed in sweat pants and big shirts. Somedays, you just don't care!

Melissa said...

Look at my cute dad...such a good sport. Not to mention a Superfan! He can't even put the words White Socks together without calling them White Sox. Awesome.

The Wilsons said...

So that's why you let us take his pants off...He truly looks adorable in anything that he's wearing. I especially love that you made Maddie and Jude mii characters. I need to make Jules.

Anonymous said...

Just one last comment . . .
I would much rather see my grandson wearing a sweatpants outfit than seeing him wearing that TUTU!!

Melissa said...

Oh, just embrace it Dad. You know you love it.