Saturday, October 18, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad



Yesterday was my dad's birthday - but I was gone all day - so I have to do a make-up post. For all those siblings that forgot to call...feel free to blame it on me, it still makes me look like the better child. I DID call.

My dad is awesome. He has always (and by always I obviously mean after I started behaving myself) been one of my greatest friends. We have been all over the world together. One of my favorite memories of my dad is the time he and I drove down to Moab for a camping trip. He was annoyed by a truck full of young mountain bikers that were a wee-bit obnoxious, so he paid for our camp-site, AND the one next to us, just so those guys couldn't camp near us. Good thing he did - they ended up coming by in the middle of the night anyway.

This was the same trip that was going to be "great weather for camping" so we ended up sleeping in the Grand Tetons in 13 degree weather. Still the coldest I've ever been. We spent the next morning talking with some sort of roaming-hippie that literally had frozen boogers hanging from his nose. My dad was the better person and didn't laugh out loud. I on the other hand had to keep finding this hippie's stories HILARIOUS, so I could just laugh at the ice-boogie.

My dad NEVER says anything bad about anyone, and always has a positive attitude. This is one of his traits that I admire more than anything. He constantly lets me know how much he loves me, and has always been proud of me - even if he shouldn't have been!

My dad is one of my best friends, and I absolutely adore him. Thanks for everything, Dad - and Happy Birthday! Oh, and Dad, it's okay if you get a grey hair this year. I'll feel better if you go grey before I do.

**DISCLAIMER**I should add (after Rob pointed out) that I DO know that the Grand Tetons are not in Moab. We did a LOT of camping that week...not all in the same place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Melissa - It was really nice of you to write all of that.
And Happy Boogie-day to you too!