Friday, April 04, 2008

It's Just Who I Am


For Christmas this year, my lovely friend Ashlee gave me a book called "The Female Brain." I'd first like to say that I loved this book. I learned a lot - and it has given me tons of insight to my moods, my husbands thoughts, and what makes us different. I recommend it 100%. That is, however, all I'd like to say about this book. I know there are a lot of people out there that genuinely enjoy reading books, and then discussing them in groups. I believe these people say that they are in "book clubs." I have been invited to these "clubs" on several occasions by my friend Stefanie, to which I politely decline, and say, "friends don't invite friends to book club." I just don't have the desire to sit around and say things like, "remember that part where she..." to which the other person says, "yeah. that was awesome." I spent all of high school regurgitating my readings to my teachers, and I think that was enough for me.


This takes me back to my book. Because quiet time is rare in our home - I kept this book in the bathroom, and would read a page every time I took a seat. It took me a LONG time to finish, but it was a good way to make myself read. A few weeks ago Rob and I had some friends over for games, and one of them snuck off to the bathroom and saw my book. When he returned he shared the title with the four other guys that were here - and they had a hay-day with it. Here are some of the highlights from the ONLY "book club"I have ever been to. Again, the book was called "The Female Brain."


Ben - "You turn the book upside down and it moos."


Brad - 'It's 200 + pages of 'letting you down easy'."


Adam - "It's just blank pages."


Ben - "It's extra toilet paper."


Brad - "It's actually a coloring book."



6 comments:

Stefanie Raynes said...

Words cannot explain how much I hate your four friends...there are two reasons really. 1st - you joined THEIR bookclub instead of mine, and 2nd - WHAT? blank pages, toilet paper? Tell them to FO!

andrea garber said...

I am so glad that you found my blog. It's my life and I love blogging. Your kids are stinking cute. You and your hubby did good. We should really get together sometime soon. It would be fun!

Something Wilde said...

Melissa, a reader? How come after all these years I really did not know this. We were always more of singers though.

Tell your friends I'm still on the search for The Male Brain, but I'm not sure if it is out there.

Ashlee said...

Hahahahahahahahahaha

The UnMighty said...

Whoa, Stef. Better relax and cool down before you overwork your female brain.

- Ben (from the post) (and yes, the book did "moo" when you tipped it over.)

Tom Quinn. said...

Words cannot explain how I felt about this blog..........there are a few really. Poignant, funny, insightful, persuasive. Your four friends are inspiring intellectuals. Can you tell me how to join their book club. I feel like I could learn a lot about the female psyche under their tutelage.