Monday, April 21, 2008

What's in a Name?

Growing up I got my fair share of name-teasing. The last name Kopp brought on jokes such as 5-0, the fuzz, kopp-out, Kopp-a-feel, Robokopp - you get the picture. On the flip side, cops would have a good chuckle whenever I was pulled over, and I got out of many speeding tickets because of my last name. Oddly enough, not a SINGLE person in my family has decided to join the police force - which is quite unfortunate, because Officer Kopp would be quite the title. (According to a friend of mine, it's also against all odds - because he's sure that all Chicago-ans are mustached police officers named Bob. The correct statistic is 94%). Believe it or not, my mother's name is Anita Kopp, and it took her ten-plus years to realize the comedy behind it. Some idiot finally dropped the line, "Why - is there a robber?" after she had introduced herself. Despite the jokes, I loved my last name - it was memorable, short, and ALWAYS spelled with a C by strangers.

Names have been on my mind a lot lately with little baby number three coming. Trying to find the perfect first, middle, last name combo can be quite daunting. Madelyn, however, thinks she's got things all figured out. If you ask her about the baby in Mommy's tummy, she'll let you know that there are two. She says that there is a girl baby and a boy baby (because she wants a girl and Jude wants a boy). She's even gone as far as to name these children. The little boy is named Ropey and the little girl is named Closure. Seriously...I have NO idea.

All of this name-thinking came to a head this morning when my regular pediatrician was out of the office. The receptionist said that he would be back tomorrow - but I could meet with the Physician's Assistant if my child was sick. Jude's been running a fever for four days, so I decided I should take him in today. My appointment was with...in ALL seriousness, Dr. Broken Leg. It was even two capitalized words. So even though all members of the Kopp family failed to go into their pre-destined line of work, I'm happy to report that there are many out there that are doing what they are supposed to. AND she was fabulous. It must be the name.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! wow, that is truly amazing. Poor doctor.

kathryn said...

Maggie named the "girl" baby in my belly Franda the Baby. Yikes.

Jodi said...

Dr. Broken Leg?@!? Was she an indian woman? That is a VERY unusual last name!! BTW...how is Jude doing?

Something Wilde said...

So what is a Wilde supposed to do for work?

Brett said...

Haha, as long as we're on funny names, my acappella group has a gig with a Dr Fig Newton in Ogden next month. I wonder if he eats any. Hmm

The UnMighty said...

That's not that unusually. I once knew a girl named Skanky Slut. You can probably guess what she did.

Kyle said...

Get this, my new roommate, Shane Reczik has a cousin named ANA!!! No joke!