Friday, April 25, 2008

Relief!

I am one of those nerds that suffers from allergies for three straight seasons. I'm allergic to grass, ragweed and pollen - which makes for a TERRIBLE situation when you're pregnant. At my last appointment I asked my doctor if there was anything I could take to relieve my sypmtoms - to which he said, "Well, technically all of the over-the-counter allergy medicines are safe." I was pretty surprised to hear that because I had always believed the complete opposite. He then said, "Some people are trying to prove that they cause deformities like holes in the heart and cleft-pallet, but there's no proof yet....so it's up to you."

Now, I have to be honest. There have been a few VERY severe moments that I found myself thinking, "It's never been proven..." but I still can't get myself to take the meds - after all I don't even use normal household cleaners anymore because of the toxins. Just as I was thinking there was no end in sight, my brother Greg reminded me of the most wonderful invention sitting in my medicine cabinet. It may be weird, unconventional and incredibly awkward to watch - but I feel SO much better. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you NASALINE!

9 comments:

Linz said...

Congratulations on being prego by the way!!

Derek and Kristine said...

Did I just witness a nasal enema? That ain't right!

Sarah said...

You are a trooper...I personally can't stand that stuff. But if it makes you feel better, then by all means...
stay strong little root!

Stacey said...

Wow, can anyone tell me the point of having both demonstrations? Brett does that every other day and his allergies aren't nearly as strong as they usually are at this time of year. I did it all the time when I was prego too, it did wonders. I can't stand though. It always takes me a couple of hours before all the water is out.

kathryn said...

ben just bought something like that, except ours looks like a little teapot that your stuff up your nostril and then pour. maggie is always trying to sneak it out of the cabinet for a tea party with her dolls. green tea, anyone?

Melissa said...

Ooooh, you guys got the Netti Pot? I was tempted to go that route - but the lady at Good Earth said the Nasaline didn't drip as much. I'd like to see it in action though...lets have a hippie party.

kathryn said...

okay, melissa, but only if you bring some of those giant wax tubes that you stick in your ear and light on fire and they "suck" out all your inner ear wax.

Melissa said...

NO JOKE. They're in my medicine cabinet. We'll ear-candle the night away.

The UnMighty said...

Forget the water. Just do what I do and snort the salt straight. My sinuses have never been clearer. In fact, they're gone.