Sunday, September 21, 2008

Oh Joy

I forgot to mention in my last post that my very-emotionally-attached-to-diapers daughter is FINALLY potty trained. Working with her was so difficult - I tried every known idea to inspire her: sticker charts, bribery, "all your friends are doing it," letting her "feel wet," you name it - it failed. When I took her in for her three year check-up her pediatrician flat out said, "You're wasting your time." He explained that if you can catch a two year old at the right window, AND they're ready - great. But that potty training a three year old was a completely different game. He explained that three year olds have to feel they're making the right-choice with potty training, and once that idea sinks in - they'll take it up and never go back.
So I decided to tell it to Maddie straight. I said, "Listen, Maddie. Mom and Dad are spending too much money on diapers already, and adding more baby diapers will take away all of our money. So, how about tomorrow you be Mom's big helper, and start wearing panties.." She agreed, and it was done. THANK GOODNESS. I DO realize the emotional distress that may come later from our "little talk," but that's at LEAST ten years down the road, right??!
Along with potty training, Maddie's other obsession has been with Christmas and Santa. She is always telling me to clean up so Santa can come over, and loves to see his picture on the computer. However, things went a little too far this afternoon when Maddie intertwined her two new favorite things. She asked if we could go to the store and see Santa, and I said that when he comes we could. That's when she replied with, "Yeah. He wants to see my panties."

2 comments:

Jodi said...

HORRAY FOR MISS MADDIE! I'll be on the lookout for some big girl panties with Santa on them so she can show him when she sits on his lap at the mall!

Angie said...

LOVED the strategy for potty-training... That is hilarious. Good job, Maddie!!!

Oh and the Santa thing was pretty darn funny too... Look out for that though. It could be trouble. ;)