Thursday, November 15, 2007

Five Weeks Later

My friend Kat tagged me, again, and even though it was weeks ago - it gave me an excuse to (yes) four and a half years later, put my wedding photos on my computer. They were so unbelievably horrid, that I up until this point have had no desire to. I guess the tag is about Rob and I. Here we go:

Where did you meet your husband?
This may sound odd, but I met him while I was pretending to work at the UVSC paid-parking toll booth. My friend Stefanie (who REALLY worked at the toll booth) was sick of me rambling on and on about my ex, and literally said, "It's time I set you up with someone. Oh, wait - here he comes now." So, I jumped in to the cash register seat, and told Rob, (in my best flirting) that he didn't have to pay. I thought he was ADORABLE, and said to Stef, "okay - set me up!"

Where was the first date, first kiss?
In some mass confusion, I ended up going out twice with Rob's roommate. I spent all that time flirting with Rob - and his roommate eventually said, "yeah, I don't think she likes me," and gave Rob my number. Because of that, I was already hanging out at his apartment a lot. I think the first time he actually called me was to go see the Christmas lights at Temple Square, but the weather was bad. We ended eating out at Mi Ranchito, watching a movie and snuggling on the couch. When he walked me to my car, he kissed me - so I guess first date and first kiss were one and the same.

Long or short engagement?
We dated for 14 months before getting engaged (with 3 break-ups). We got engaged Feb 17, 2003 - and married May 23, 2003.

How did you get engaged?
This story is pretty horrible - but I was TOTALLY expecting the engagement, so Rob decided to work up a plan that would surprise me. When he didn't propose on Valentine's Day, I was really bummed. But we went and got massages the following Monday. After the massage, Rob and I were headed to his parent's house - when I got pulled over for speeding. The cop was SUPER nice, but he let me know that because of an unpaid ticket, there was a warrant out for my arrest. (Which I HAD taken care of, but he said that the warrant hadn't been suspended). He hand cuffed me - and put me in the back seat of his car. I was LITERALLY sobbing - when Rob got in with me, and proposed. I think that the first word out of my mouth was actually a swear (but seeing as how my blog is PG - I will not repeat that). I then said yes. The whole thing was caught on tape - Thanks Jared and Scott.

Where did you get married?
In the Mount Timponogos Temple

How did the reception go?
I had two. One in Utah, and one a week later in Chicago. The reception here was nice, but really hot. I don't remember a lot about that one...just that I spent a lot of time meeting people I didn't know. The reception in Chicago was at my parent's house was freezing - but a lot of fun. Like I said in an earlier post - I made sure that the DJ only played 70s love songs. One of my favorite memories was my dad sitting us all down before the reception, giving us our assignments: Rob and Melissa - talk to people, Derek: Watch the fire pit - add wood when needed, Dan: keep an eye on the video and make sure it rewinds, Greg: you watch the photo montage, Johnny: you're in charge of the valet, and Sarah: you watch the pets. I think we all even put our hands together and said, "break" after he was done.

How was the Honeymoon?
My (very generous) father sent us on an all-expenses-paid trip to Maui. We stayed at the Westin, and it was UNBELIEVABLE! We snorkeled, sailed, para-sailed, and tanned to our heart's content. Best week EVER!


3 comments:

kathryn said...

so wait, was the back of the police car proposal a set up or for real? did you still have to go to jail afterwards? that's awesome. I wonder if that guy was the same cop that arrested Tanya!

Anonymous said...

awww. This makes me want to get married... you two are such a handsome couple!

Melissa said...

Oh, yeah - I guess I kind of forgot to finish the story. The warrant HAD been taken care of, it was just something that Rob had known about - and the Cop was a friend of my brother-in-law's. He uncuffed me, made me hug him, and sent me on my way. He felt REALLY bad for making me cry.