Saturday, May 10, 2008

Excuses, anyone?




While driving to the pediatrician's office yesterday my gum was suddeny full of sand. I pulled the gritty piece from my mouth and there it was - half of my only crown/veneer. I had this crown put on about a year ago, and my heart immediately sank - for I now find myself in a pickle.

You see, I take pretty good care of my teeth....I had lots of cavities as a kid, but as an adult have had two, maybe three. The crown I speak of was an old filling that managed to wiggle loose, and become another cavity under the filling. The dentist "didn't see this" in my x-ray, and broke my tooth in half while drilling. I didn't go back to that dentist. The new dentist said we'd give the huge hole in my mouth a root canal, and then replace the left-over tooth with a veneer. Done. $500+ dollars later (insurance INCLUDED) I had a new, fancy, smooth, tooth.

At the end of my appointment the Dr. gave me a "certificate of authenticity" of some sort stating that they'd guarantee the veneer for five years, as long as my six-month-tooth-cleanings were up to date. I just missed my six month cleaning....six months ago. Now what???

If this dentist won't guarantee my veneer - I'm surely not going to go back to them, only to get another shoddy one that crumbles in a year. On the other hand, if I don't throw enough of a fit - I'll have to pay another $500+ to another dentist.

Kris - you're my dental friend....what do I do - and DON'T give me any 6-months appt grief - I'm a mother of two, and who REALLY goes every six moths on the dot? It's like oil changes - we all wait 5000 miles anyway. The fact that I feel this is a very accurate picture of a dentist's office does not make it any easier to go, either.

2 comments:

Ashlee said...

Oh, Melissa...I feel your pain. I have no advice to offer, just sympathy.

kathryn said...

i had really great teeth until i started having babies. pregnancy did a number on my teeth. just another one of the things you sacrifice for darling little kidleys.

good luck with your tooth. ben's got a similar issue... and we don't have dental insurance. yikes.