Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Vegas and Tell

I am one of those people that actually LOVE Vegas. Yes it's dirty and expensive, but I'm still a huge fan. As I mentioned in my last post, Rob surprised me for our five year anniversary with a three night stay in Vegas, sans kids. We had an AMAZING time. The drive is not a big deal, about five hours - but I KNEW that we'd get a ticket on this trip, and not thirty seconds after the thought crossed my mind, Rob was pulled over: 94 in a 75, but the "polite" officer knocked it down to ten over: bad luck begins.

Once you hit Nevada, there's still about 80 miles to drive, but it always seems like Vegas is "just over this hill.." It always reminds me of this clip:


We spent the first day hitting the major hotels, riding the new monorail, eating at buffets, and doing plenty of shopping. It was low sixties and rainy for the entire trip (bad luck continues) so no time for the pool.




We even got to see Pete Rose at Caesar's Palace

We then went to see the Bodies Exhibit at the Tropicana - an exhibit where they preserve human bodies, and then strip them down layer by layer so you can actually see every part of the body: skin, bones, muscles, brain, EVERYTHING. It was unreal.

The next day we hit In and Out Burger for Lunch - Rob's favorite. It was BY FAR the most crowded fast food restaurant I have ever seen. Standing room only. Then we went shopping at H&M - my favorite place to shop in Europe that has now made it to the states.





Then while cruising the Hard Rock Hotel, we got to meet THIS GUY!


You know him - he's the guy from a bunch of James Bond movies - or my favorite, the guy that says, "And you can count on me, waiting for you, in the parking lot." From Happy Gilmore. We got an autographed picture of him actually saying that line which he signed, "Dear Melissa, your ball struck my foot. Richard Kiel." I was in HEAVEN. I've ALWAYS loved this guy. And, really, WHO meets this guy? Where IS this guy? It was perfect.

That night we went to see Cirque Du Soleil's LOVE show. It was amazing. One of the best shows I've ever seen. I really can't say enough about it. What a beautiful and funny tribute to such a legendary band.


We took off Sunday afternoon, and wouldn't you know it - Rob got pulled over again. (Bad luck finale) apparently he had kind-of learned his lesson, because this time he was clocked at 87 in a 75. On a fluke, the guy let us off with a warning. I guess he couldn't yet tell that Rob was already driving on a ticket. Otherwise I'm sure we'd both be currently rotting in Juab County Jail.

This whole trip was everything I needed. By far the most fun Vegas trip I've ever had. Thanks so much Rob for making this such a special anniversary. Let's end with a little game, shall we? Can anyone guess how much these two scoops of Gelato cost us? (One scoop per cup)

10 comments:

Jodi said...

Sounds like a great trip (minus the speeding ticket) I'm jealous!
My guess for the Gelato - $12.00

Derek and Kristine said...

Wait wait- are these Price Is Right rules? Closest to the actual amount without going over?? I'm not guessing until you clarify!

Melissa said...

Okay, we'll go with Kris's idea - closest without going over. Good luck!

Lizza said...

Did you get to the Titanic exhibit, too? I can't remember if that's still there. I love Vegas, too. It's my favorite place to drop a ton of cash. I'm guessing 6.55 each for the gelato. I'm still waiting for H&M to come to Utah. They have the best baby clothes.

PS There's a super authentic gelato place in SLC, 11 E and 17 S. American Airlines magazine recommended it.

Anonymous said...

I love that picture of "THIS GUY" with Rob's pinhead. so funny! how random! My guess for Gelato= $8 each, so $16.00 total.

kathryn said...

Mmmmm... IN-N-OUT. I'm guessing the gelato cost you $9.50. Does the winner get a free scoop of Gelato?

Too bad the weather was so dang crappy this weekend, it "ruined" my birthday plans. Did the kids survive?

Something Wilde said...

Hey, I thought what happened in Vegas stayed in Vegas...

Happy Anniversary!

Gelato: priceless

Derek and Kristine said...

$1, Bob!!!

Sarah said...

I love that you met that huge guy from Happy Gillmore...
and for the Gelato, doesn't matter the price I would buy the stuff if it was 20 bucks a pop, I LOVE IT!

Ashlee said...

Happy anniversary!! I'm so glad that you had a great trip! Welcome back!