Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Only 10%?


Hi. My name is Melissa, and I have a phobia. Just looking at this picture makes me nauseous. I've always known that I was really nervous around moths (understatement of the year) but after watching this video I'm realizing that it's a full blown phobia. Here are a few things that should have clued me in earlier:

I have driven off the road - on SEVERAL occasions because there was a moth in my car. I then had to evacuate my car, and wait for someone to get the moth out - even if it was a complete stranger.

I once avoided my front bathroom for three days because there was a moth in it, and Rob was out of town. I had to leave a sign on the door that said, "MOTH" so I wouldn't accidentally walk in.

I sat alone, outside for three hours in college waiting for Mary to come home and make sure there wasn't a moth in the house.

I go into a full blown panic attack at the sight of an open door or window on summer nights.

I have nightmares of moths in my ears and hair.

The phobia extends to birds and butterflies, but neither are as severe as my freak-outs with moths. You will NEVER see me in a room where there's a possiblity for one to enter. The worst part about all of this is that I absolutely know that there is NOTHING a moth can do (save it be flutter me to death) that can hurt me - but the fear is still overwhelming. The video surprised me when it said that only 10% of people have phobias. I assumed everyone did. Please tell me I'm not alone. Please tell me that there is a secret society for the wise that are equally scared of these satanic creatures. If you think I'm ridiculous - fine, I'm sure I deserve that, but you ARE scared of something - right??

4 comments:

Sara said...

I don't know if I am as scared of Spiders as you are of Moths, but I definitely hate the little bugs. Brock has gotten upset at me a couple of different times for screaming a little too loudly over seeing a spider on the ground. :)

Anonymous said...

Just thought you might want to visit a web site that lists all of the phobias - from ablutophobia to zemmiphobia. I'm sure everyone would find one that fits! By the way -that's fear of washing or bathing (a) to fear of the great mole rat (z). http://www.typesofphobias.com/
I was thinking that most of these must have been made up - until I came across mottephobia - fear of moths. Now don't be afraid to look!

Anonymous said...

I have a fear of change....apparently...any significant change that is permanent will send me into a tizzy of panic attacks and such...

I found out about that little tidbit about myself when we adopted our daughter...and later when we remodeled our house...come to think of it, I had a rough time on my honeymoon too.....hmmmm....tell rob hi from us!
-Cheryl

Kyle said...

I'd like to know if you have any plans of overcoming this phobia of yours someday. I'd be more than happy to help out :)