Thursday, February 16, 2012

Maybe I'm Just Old

Yes, I'm thirty.

Yes, I already use the phrase, "They just don't make them the way they used to."

I don't think that's a crime.  After all, anybody my age remembers how awesome parks were before everything became plastic.

Remember these things?


You've never slid down a robot's arms cutting your rear-end on rusty metal pieces?   Okay - neither have I...I just ran across the picture while searching for vintage merry-go-round images.  I do believe there was something similar at the old McDonald's play place, though...

Back to my point.  They just don't make things like they used to.  I found myself saying this as I folded up Madelyn's school valentines a few nights ago.  When did "hand out to your class" valentines go from being made out of cardboard-like paper to slick, cheap magazine paper?  Where did the envelopes go?

I remember passing out Valentine's as a kid.  I had to read each one to make sure that I didn't give anything too provocative to the other boys in the class.  "I like you, Valentine" would have been the end of the world if given to the wrong kid!  Nowadays, kids just sign their names and don't even write who it is to.

I'm sure in the next ten years the teacher will just send home a list of all the kids' email addresses and have their Valentine's Day messages sent to their inbox.

Our poor kids - they'll never know the feeling swinging so high that the leg of the swing set comes off the ground.

They just don't make them like they used to!

BDEM:  I chopped my hair again.  It was a good thing.  

Water:  40 oz

No comments: