Monday, August 29, 2011

Empty

I once saw a documentary on how life changes after weight loss.  It was moving, inspiring, and really got me thinking.  It was about this lonely girl who had lost weight, and had no idea how to dress herself after. So she held on to all of her clothes that were too big, and always got depressed while looking at a closet full of clothes that didn't fit.  Then, out of the blue a very sassy brunette and a tall, well dressed blonde male showed up at her door and offered her $5000 to throw away all of her old clothes.  She lived happily ever after.  

Okay, so maybe I don't watch documentaries, but I do remember that in this particular episode Stacy and Clinton talked to this girl about the negative effects of keeping clothes that don't fit.  They talked about how keeping your skinny jeans is terrible on your self esteem, because it is a constant reminder that you're no longer the size you once were.  They also said that keeping clothes that are too big is a bad idea because you can easily slip into those clothes again, rather than rethinking diet/exercise choices when those pants get a bit snug.

I've been thinking about purging my clothes for a while, but it was really hard for me.  I'm sure a lot of you moms out there know what I'm talking about when I say that I felt guilty.  {For all you non-parents out there, it's not that I don't think I deserve new clothes, it's just hard to justify when your kids also need new clothes} And I knew that if I actually purged, and had to visualize the only clothes I was wearing, I might get a bit depressed.  (Which is probably how all of you feel after seeing me in the same four outfits all summer long!) 

But now that summer is coming to an end - it was time.  Time to see where I was starting with my fall wardrobe. 
I grabbed a big black garbage bag and filled.  

 I was left with this: one sweater, two shirts, a skirt, and a pair of jeans.  Oh - and a wedding dress.  I'm SURE I'll be getting that out soon.  


Then I fell to the floor, and debated unpacking, and rehanging all the clothes.  The Ella on my back only made this harder - so it was all donated.

There you have it.  A skirt, a pair of jeans, two shirts, a sweater and a wedding dress.  Where do I even begin?  No....seriously - where do I begin?  Where are all of you shopping?  I have so much to buy - on little funds.  What are your "staple" items, and where do I buy them? Oh - did I forget to tell you I have no style?  Silly me.  The last time I went shopping, Rob picked out my clothes.  I then overheard the sales women telling him that I was lucky he was with me - I wouldn't have picked anything good without him.  He was flattered.  I was mad.  I will take any and all suggestions.  I will also take Stacy and Clinton, should you know them personally....because, like all of you, I'm SURE that Clinton and I would be best friends.  

BDEM:  I decided to make shepherd's pie for dinner.  Nobody told me this was best made when you have leftover meat, potatoes and carrots.  It ended up taking a really, REALLY long time.  Looking at the casserole in the oven, I thought about how dumb it was of me to spend so much time making such a boring dinner.  At the table, the kids raved and even clapped for my meal.  Rob ate two servings and said, "This one is a keeper!"  (Probably not, but still a BDEM!)  

3 comments:

Jodi said...

I love you and I love this post! Yae for losing weight...you look AMAZING! I'm not Clinton or Stacy, nor am I a fashion-ista, but I would love to come shopping with you and tell you how great you look in everything!

Mary said...

So I was reading a time management book and it said we take way too much time shopping. So...she suggested going into a store you love each season and buying 2 complete outfits off the mannequin. Then you are completely styled and probably have some things to mix and match. Seriously, I have no advice. You know I wear jeans and a t-shirt everyday. And I am just itching for sweatshirt weather...they are so comfy...I need to purge. Eek.

Stacey said...

So, where did Rob get all of his fashion sense and Brett got none at all? BTW, we are thinking of you guys and praying for you too. Everything will work, just hope it's sooner rather than later.