Sunday, January 01, 2012

Resolutions


Yes, I feel like I - along with the rest of the world - should post about a few of the things I'd like to do in 2012.  Seeing as how I'm only four months into the best year of my life, I should still have up until August of 2012 to make it phenomenal.

Here are a couple of the things I will work on in 2012

1. I'd like to work on being a better listener.  I think this applies mostly to my kids because, honestly, I think I talk to them the most.  I sometimes find myself distracted, saying, "Uh-huh, sure..." to something they are trying to tell me.  This is bad for two reasons.  1.  They are my kids, and they should feel like they can come to me if they need to talk.  2. I sometimes snap out of my distraction to find very strange things going on that I apparently agreed to...and at that point, how can I say no?!

2.  I'd like to improve my physical health.  I feel like I've made some pretty good strides over the last year, but there are still some areas that could use improvement (thighs, butt, tummy..) okay, no - I actually meant areas of health.  I drink RIDICULOUS amounts of Diet Coke.  Love it, live on it, plan my meals around it.  I'm not giving it up.  BUT, I feel like I should try to incorporate more water.  My goal is to drink at least eight glasses of water per day.

3.  Along with the physical health, I still have a lingering 15-20 lbs I'd like to shed.  Losing that would take me to a weight that in my post-junior high life, I have never seen.  It's not an image thing as much of a, "can I do this?" thing.  My goal is to have that shed by April 1st, 2012.  That gives me time to take it slow, and make it a realistic goal.

4.  I'd like to take up a hobby.  I've mentioned in the past that I don't really have any hobbies besides blogging, and this year I think I'll change that.  I want to be a better photographer, and along side of that, I want to learn photoshop.  I will set aside one hour/week (man that seems pathetic) in which I can sit down and just watch tutorials or get advice from friends.

5.  Outlive the Mayan Calendar.  I'm still planning the details on this one.  Thus far it involves a gun, a whistle, a life jacket, a week's supply of Diet Coke, and the secret panic room in our friend's mansion.  I figure at that point the "less coke, more water" goal will probably be void.

I think that's it...for now.  There may be a few more that come up, but putting four things out on the inter-web already gives me some level of accountability.

Here's to 2012  - the second half of the Best Year of My Life.

Anybody remember "The Summer of George?"  Maybe I'll just call this "The Year of Melissa."

BDEM:  Cute little Ella Bell just joined the big kids at church for Sunday School.  She graduated from the little kids' class, and today was spotlighted in front of all the other kids. Between meeting them all yesterday, and seeing them again today, she was asked a bunch of, "let's get to know you" type questions.


Here are a few of my favorite answers:


What is your favorite color?
 - Roxy (My in-laws' dog)


What is your favorite color (a second time)
- Tinkerbell


What is your favorite food?
-Poop


What is your favorite song?
-again, Roxy

No comments: