Tuesday, May 01, 2012

The Tomboy in Me

I've never been the girliest of girls.  I try to look nice from time to time when I know I'm going somewhere fancy but as a general rule, I just really love stretchy pants.  There.  I said it.  I feel totally liberated.  I'm trying really hard to branch out of my normal clothing selections - incorporate some new colors every once in a while, but still, it's a process.  My dad bought me a red White Sox hat ten years ago, and I still feel like "me" whenever I put it on.  Then there's the fact that I still wish that my Culver Sailing Staff uniform was appropriate every day attire.  It consisted of khaki shorts and a white polo.  Simple, easy, clothed.

After reading my dear friend Deon's post, I realized that it was time to throw something out into the blogging universe - just to see what kind of response I get.

Confession:  I have never owned a single pair of high heels.

I own a pair of wedges...that are hardly dressy, but I have never owned a pair of "check me out in these sexy shoes" high heels.


Aren't they cute?



Am I a horrible person?  Do I NEED to own a pair?  Part of me wants to, but I just don't know what to wear them with.

Am I the only one with this issue?

BDEM:  The youth that I work with spent the evening doing volunteer work around the neighborhood.  What great teenagers...I didn't hear a SINGLE complaint!

Water:  40 oz

4 comments:

Stacey said...

I bought my first pair of any type of heel last year and wore them for the first time a couple of weeks ago. They aren't very tall at all but it's still very difficult to walk. Granted I bought them when I was prego and then I had the babies and didn't want to wear them while holding the babies. I felt like I was a total geek for never having worn them. I just love my flats. If you will never wear them, why buy them?

Mary said...

You may not have ever worn or owned high heels, but you do have that ultra girly face when you put on makeup. Do you still do that? :)

Stacy said...

I would have never known and I think you're adorable. And if it helps you feel validated in any way, I am wearing stretchy pants as I write this! :) Then again, you are my twin.

Heels, I wear them to church only and I hate them. I am worried that the slightest bumping in to me will send me sprawling to the ground. I am not a natural.

Deon said...

Weeeeeelllllllll, I do feel the need to not really defend myself and my mounds of high heels as much as explain myself and my mounds of high heels: When I was a full-blown tomboy (you weren't the only one!), I had very short hair, wore my older brother's very-boyish-looking handmedowns, and was mistaken for a male by a woman in our family's new ward. It was at that exact point in time that the pendulum swung to the complete opposite end of the self-identity spectrum, and I'm just now mellowing to a middle ground after all of these years. Yes, that's my story, and I'm stickin' with it.